Modern metallic paints are water based and contain mica pigments so they do not tarnish. They are easy to use but here are some pointers:
- They are quite translucent so it is a good idea to work on a supporting base colour to prevent the overall effect looking patchy. For example, use a grey under a silver, an ochre or yellow under a gold and an orange tone under a copper. Other colours such as dark blue under silver or rich red under gold are also effective. Use a waterbased matt emulsion as the base.
- Build up several thin layers - the brush marks will show so make a nice feature out of them.
- Mix with waterbased glazing medium and paint over solid colour for beautiful metallic washes.
Ardenbrite Metallic Paint
A metallic finish paint in both solvent and water based
- Brightens the appearance of the substrate
- Gives the effect of a new metal surface
- Refurbishes old appliances
- Overcoat for a long lasting finish
Polyvine Metallic Paint
A metallic finish for interior and exterior use.
- Highly durable
- Silky lustre finish
- Heat and water resistant
- Water based
- Wash brushes in water
- Easy to apply
- Low odour
Rustoleum Painters Touch Metallic
A metallic finish aerosol suitable for most interior and exterior surfaces
- 400ml pack size.
- Indoor and outdoor use.
- Gold, silver and chrome finishes.
- Bright and soft metallic sheens.
- Excellent coverage, hiding and colour retention.